Sunday 14 August 2011

CS#@!^

Phew, its the first Sunday of the school term and I found myself spending most of the weekend learning MySQL commands, learning how to set up databases. It took me 3 hours to get relational databases right. I mean, it looks so easy, and indeed it is, but Murphy loves to visit when you least expect him to. It always happens doesn't it? Urrghhh. Anyway, earlier I just remembered about having to do the weekly blog post, and made a note in my todo list. In a slightly drunken state induced by a mixture of lack of sleep and earlier alcohol consumption, I ended up typing CS3216 as CS#@!^ and I chuckled. It might as well have been what I was feeling about how the module is becoming 90% of my life (the other 10% being sleep). But even so, with all the pain it is fun and rewarding, especially after each tiny progress. Or maybe I just enjoy pain. Haha. I especially liked one of the seniors' sharing where he said "This module gives you the best bang for the buck."
Thus here truly begins my love-hate relationship with CS3216. Anyway, research has shown that swearing reduces pain, really! If any of you are curious or interested, the link is here: http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/abstract/2009/08050/swearing_as_a_response_to_pain.4.aspx

Anyway, I was kinda bored during the first part of the presentation, mainly because it was a repeat of the info session, sorry Prof Ben :P
I did however, enjoy the short TED video on 8 ways to success. It was light-hearted, succinct and yet full of wisdom all at once. And of course, the show and tell. Everyone is so talented and you could feel all the passion they have for what they do as they presented. The energy level was amazing, and all I could feel was "This is going to be amazing. Working with and learning from these people." and "Damn. I better put in my 200% if I don't want to be left behind." I guess now I get a better sense of the dynamics of how putting really smart and really crazy people together will just magically work and produce results. We feed off the enthusiasm and energy level of the others and in the name of oneupsmanship (and hopes of getting an A).

Normally, in group projects people would be selective and careful about their group selection, but I find that in this class I find that I am willing and look forward to work with each and every one in the class and get the feeling that we will learn from each other at the end of the day. It's an amazing feeling. And so far its been really really fun working with my facebook application project mates. I sense lot of pain coming, and I welcome it =)


1 comment:

  1. "Anyway, I was kinda bored during the first part of the presentation, mainly because it was a repeat of the info session, sorry Prof Ben :P"

    Dun have to be sorry. Not everyone turned up for the info session what, so have to repeat for the benefit of those who did not.

    ReplyDelete